Proposed New Community Garden for Vic West Park
The City of Victoria is redeveloping Vic West Park and has designated a section for a large community garden. Vic West Food Security Collective is starting the process. We invite you to join us.
We are looking for a committed “Garden Planning Team” who, together with our neighbours, partners, and community organizations, will bring the garden from concept to celebratory completion.
Gardeners, planners, designers, carpenters, artists, organizers, and anyone who has the time, energy, skills and interest to bring this project to fruition are welcome to contribute. It will take a community to create this garden and we’d love it if you joined us now.
With generous support from Coast Capital Savings, The Victoria West Community Centre and Rock Heights Middle School partnered to provide the “Guys Only” program to male youth in Grades 6-8 attending Rock Heights Middle School.
The program provided a safe place for physical activity, mentorship and social skills development. The program gave youth an opportunity to be active and engaged while developing peer relationships, leadership, and problem solving skills.
Each week the youth participated in inclusive, active games that promoted, exercise, health and wellness.
The qualified male facilitators built positive, lasting relationships with youth creating opportunities for discussion and dialogue on issues facing male youth in the program.
A balanced, nutritious snack was provided to participants at the beginning of each program, encouraging healthy food choices and nutrition.
Guys Only Program Details
• Began November 18, 2015, finished Friday, June 22, 2016.
• 24 weeks of programming.
• Program took place on Wednesdays at Rock Heights Middle School, from 12:45-2:15pm.
• 79 male youth from Rock Heights Middle School have attended the Guys Only program out of a total male student population of 120.
• High percentage of at-risk students participated for the first two cycles of the program. (Top 10% of at-risk male youth enrolled in the school).
• Multi-age grouping, increasing connections for students in different age groups.
Comments from Participants:
• Do you want this program offered again at Rockheights? YES YES YES YES!!!
• It was very fun and I hope to come back.
• What was your favourite part of the program? Everything!