A Community Response to COVID-19
The Victoria West Community Centre is resuming some of our normal programming and activities with additional safety precautions in place. Little Steps Preschool, Daycare, and School-Age Camp Programs, which provide essential childcare services to our community, continue to operate.
While we are taking steps to increase sanitization and disinfecting practices at our Centre, we are also asking that all visitors to the Centre:
- Continue practicing hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette.
- Refrain from attending VWCA programs or services or from entering the Community Centre if you are experiencing symptoms associated with a respiratory illness (cough, fever, muscle ache, fatigue).
- Follow the recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer to self-isolate for 14 days if you have returned from out-of-country travel.
We encourage everyone to stay informed and take appropriate steps to maintain good health for themselves and others. The BC Centre for Disease Control has excellent information on identifying and managing symptoms and reducing risk. http://bccdc.ca/health-info/
Please know that we are monitoring the situation closely and in the event of any changes to our programming, we will post updates on our website and social media channels. Childcare Families, Program Participants, and Rentals will be contacted directly should any changes occur.
WE LOVE OUR LOCAL BUSINESSES!!!
Vic West is home to amazing businesses that bring so much to our community! During these tough times, many of them have adapted the way they operate and they need our support!!
We’ve compiled a list of all of Vic West’s local businesses with contact details, opening hours, delivery options and any other important notes! Check out the link below and show your love for Vic West businesses!
Other Community Resources
The City of Victoria website is a great resource for COVID-19 updates and community building measures. They will also be doing a daily Facebook livestream at 2:30pm. Tune in for important updates and information.Resources for Residents Resources for Businesses Community Resources
The List – By C0mmunity Micro Lending
One of the best lists of community resouces for COVID-19 in Victoria. This is great for people who have questions or are looking for digital resources to learn more about receiving help during this time.
Featuring food banks, free meals, Indigenous supports, youth supports, harm reduction, seniors support, transportation, and shelters.
This mutual-aid focused group connects people who want to provide tangible community support to people who make requests for assistance. (Check out the Vic West Pod)
This is a program that matches seniors who need support with non-medical essentials, to volunteers in their community that are willing to help. Call 211 or visit this webpage for more info.
Submit a request in this google form: Victoria QT2SBIPOC Community Mutual Aid Intake
Food & Supplies
Community food bank
Providing the community with meals, toiletries, or outreach support
Financial Support & Accessing EI/CERB
- At a glance guide for accessing financial support – with links to application details.
- Federal Government Economic Response Plan (Employment Insurance, Canada Emergency Response Benefit)
- Provincial Government Economic Response Plan
- Specific info about Tax Relief for Province of BC here.
- Subscribe here for any Tax Benefit changes (Province of BC).
- Accessing EI in BC Fact Sheet
- Google document about accessing financial support.
- Contact TAPS for help with Employment Standards claims and EI matters: email@example.com
Ways to Help
Check in with Seniors!
Sign-up here to be matched with a senior.
Provide donations to your local Foodbank or Community Shelter!
The Mustard Seed is currently looking for donations of food and financial donations. Click here to make a donation today! Our Place is in need of men’s clothing, warm layers, socks, underwear, and toiletries. Click here to make a donation today!
Volunteer (and social distance)!